Sunday, May 16, 2010

Big girl bed!

Well this week was another busy one for us! We pretty much had something to do every single day...Monday I took care of a sweet boy that was in my preschool class and his younger brother, Tuesday I went in to work to finish up cleaning my classroom out, Wednesday we had our pick up/farewell with our classes at the church, Thursday I took care of 3 other precious children (I will be watching them through the whole summer a couple days a week) and then on Friday I took care of the same little boy and his little brother.

This is a picture of Ellison with her teachers...Ms. Catherine and Ms. Laurie (Orie :) at the farewell/pick up day at school! They were the best!

Yesterday Connor and Ellison headed to Columbia (Connor played golf with his dad and Ellison spent the day with her MeMac), which meant that I had the WHOLE day to MYSELF :) It was wonderful, I cleaned the house, did laundry and ran about 100 errands. The other exciting thing that happened yesterday was I prepared Ellison's room for her big girl bed! We made a lot of transitions in her room. The crib got moved out as well as the changing table. Lately I have been changing Ellison on the floor because she moves around so much and the changing table was getting a little small. So when Connor got home we set up her new bed, with new big girl bedding from Pottery Barn Kids (I am in love with it) and rearranged some more furniture in her room. We went ahead and set the crib up in the new nursery (the new nursery is a total disaster right now but luckily we have lots of time to get it set up). The great thing is the new nursery won't need much as far as furniture and decor. We having a changing table, crib, dresser and rocker so we want to get some shelves and of course new bedding but that is really it!


Ellison not sure about the big girl bed...

Attempting to climb up in it...

Getting comfy...

Back to the big milestone I mentioned...Ellison's first night in her big girl bed! To be honest, after we set it up, she was very hesitant to get in it. She would start to climb up in it then back out. So we didn't force her, instead we did our normal bedtime routine (bath, run around naked-Ellison only :) get PJ's on, brush teeth, read a book, turn on sound machine and night light then rock for a few minutes). After I rocked her and we sang a few songs I picked her up and started heading for the bed, then the tears and whimpering came. She was not happy, but I laid her down and leaned down close to her, rubbed her head and just talked to her for about 15 minutes (hoping she would fall asleep). Well after 15 minutes she was still wide eyed, sucking her thumb with burpie nuzzled up to her face. I decided to walk out and see what she does. I gave her one last kiss and left the room. The next time we heard from her was 7:15 this morning :) She did awesome! No cries out in the middle of the night, no falling out and no waking up at 5:00 am ready to party! When she woke up she stayed in her bed and just asked for us to come get her over the monitor. When we went in she was all smiles and  bouncing around on her bed, climbing in and out.

This morning after her first night in her big girl bed! She did great!

To be honest, I slept horrible last night. I woke up every couple of hours to check on her. She moved a lot but stayed safe and secure. After we put her to bed, Connor and I were sitting on the couch and I burst into tears (I am pregnant and emotional) but I just couldn't believe that my little first born baby girl was out of her crib (never to return) about to be out of diapers (literally) and becoming such a big girl! I can't go backwards I can only move forward. I want to cherish every moment I have with her before Baby #2 arrives...

Which brings up my last bit of exciting news for this week. We have a family summer vacation planned! We could not be more excited about it! We honestly thought a summer vacation was just not going to happen with needing to save money and baby #2 coming, however with the help and generosity of my family (thank you GUE, GUM, Nan & Claude and my parents) the 3 of us (Connor, Ellison and myself...and Baby Ball :) will be flying to Pasadena, CA at the end of July to spend 5 days with my Uncles and their kids. I have been there to visit once several years ago but Connor has not (and of course Ellison hasn't either). We have been wanting to go. We thought it would be great timing and so much fun to do with Ellison before the baby arrives! Thank you, thank you, thank you millions to my family for making this happen! We are so blessed and lucky to have you all :)

Well I think this post is long enough! We hope everyone is having a great weekend and we will be catching up again soon!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Yay! You're coming to Pasadena! We would love to see you sometime while you are here! So proud of Ellison for doing so well in her big girl bed. She is going to be a wonderful big sister!