Saturday, February 25, 2012

Nan

I have been MIA...I have lost someone so dear to me and to my family. My Nan passed away on Friday, February 17th. I still cannot believe she is gone. There was a beautiful service held here in Franklin then I traveled with my family to Blacksburg, VA for another service and her burial. 

My heart aches because I miss her so much and it aches for my family. I ask for prayers for my family, most important for her son (Ed) her daughter (Jaci) and her dear husband (Claude whom I am SO incredibly thankful for...we are blessed to have him in our family!). 

Here are the words that I spoke at her service...they are words from my heart. 
 
1 Corinthians 8-13
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Nan loved so many things…we all know she had a love for shopping, she had a love for the fun in the sun, she had a love for providing for others but the biggest thing she had love for was all of us in this room. For her friends and for her family. She was never shy about using the words “I love you.”

A few days before Nan passed my husband and I went to visit her. Connor and I spoke sweet words to Nan, holding her hand, I stroked her hair and gave her kisses and reminders of how much we all love her but also how much I love her. Before we left the caregiver that was with her looked at us and said “I know I don’t know you all very well and I have not known your grandmother for a long time but I have watched people come in and out of here (friends, family even the nursing & medical staff) and I have never felt or seen so much love shared with someone like it is shared with your grandmother.” Before Connor and I left her I leaned close to Nan to kiss her one more time and I whispered in her ear “I love you so much,” at that moment she squeezed my hand opened her beautiful blue eyes, looked at me and clear as can be said “I love you too Linds.” Those were the last words she shared with me and I will forever cherish that moment.

Over the past few days my family and I have spent time remembering Nan, sharing stories about her and memories. We have looked at pictures from many years ago to recent ones. In every single photo even with some of the last few taken her smile is beaming and reflects only pure love and pure happiness. We all knew Nan’s time on this precious earth was coming to a close. I am forever grateful for the long lasting memories that I have shared with her over the past 30 years. She was there for my high school graduation, for my college graduation, she watched me fall in love, she watched me become a mother, she met both of her great grandchildren who adore her more than she will ever know. I am so blessed she was here for all of those moments.

I have endless tears for my Nan...but mainly my tears are joy. Joy that she is not hurting anymore, joy that her body is healed and renewed, joy that she has been reunited with family and friends, joy that she was a believer in Jesus Christ and she is with him now.
She was blessed but the greatest and most joyful thing is she was so loved.

I love you Nan...I miss you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She would be so proud of your courage and heart felt words.
Love you, mom